Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Bust Championship Series

BCS, you guys are killing me. 49-17, really? 633 yards of total offense for USC? I didn't watch the second half of this game. Let me say that again, I turned off the Rose Bowl at half time! Now I'm all for tradition, but the tradition of the Rose Bowl has never been matching the #1 Pac Ten team against the #2 Big Ten team*.

Per the BCS website:

The BCS is ...

The Bowl Championship Series (BCS) is a five-game arrangement for post-season college football that is designed to match the two top-rated teams in a national championship game and to create exciting and competitive matchups between eight other highly regarded teams in four other games.

Really? Because that's not what you are doing. USC-Illinois was neither "exciting" nor "competitive". Oh, and the other game? Ya, undefeated Hawaii looked like a high school team last night. You matched what is probably the best team in the nation right now in Georgia against a team from the WAC.

The two BCS games yesterday were the only ones that actually interested me, that's part of why I'm so annoyed. The BCS had a chance to crate another very interesting matchup, #3 VT vs #4 OU, but decided instead that two watered down games are better than one good one. West Virginia have no coaching staff and just lost to Whanstash. Kasas has a resume about as good as Hawaii's but are less fun to watch. I can't wait.




*Now I know this sets a good precedent for Penn State, meaning we don't have to win anything to get into the Rose Bowl, but the reality is we would get in anyway. We are a huge draw and haven't been there in a decade.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a great site. I loved the utube clip. See you in October!